Columnist Ross McCammon offers great advice for the successful protege in the March issue of Entrepreneur magazine. I love his savvy (and humor) so much I just had to share it with you:
- Be eager.
- Be affable.
- Ask questions, but not too many.
- Be complimentary, but not sycophantic.
- Be solicitous, but not overeager.
- Want the mentor’s job someday.
- Be deferential.
- Don’t be clingy.
- Be loyal, but not at the expense of one’s career.
- Never say no.
- Be as smart as, but not yet as wise as, the mentor.
- Do not tweet at the mentor.
- Do not give out the mentor’s email address.
- Do not commit a crime for the mentor–but briefly consider it.
Further reading: “14 Questions to Ask Your Mentor”
photo by SCA Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget